[Fontconfig] Screen resolutions

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Feb 25 11:16:16 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 06:58:17PM -0500, James Cloos wrote:
> It may be the case that bytecode interpreter is not compiled
> in on the TFT box.  It appears to be used on the notebook.
>
> I'd start by turning on RGBA on the TFT box, and then confirming
> whether the interpreter is enabled.

He said that the TFT box was using Fedora, correct?  I'm certain
that the bytecode interpreter is disabled on Fedora due to concerns
about Apple's patent and patent claims on it.  It's pretty easy to
rebuild the RPM to turn on the bytecode interpreter if you want;
set a variable at the top of the specfile from 1 to 0 as instructed.
See here, for example:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/freetype/freetype.spec?rev=1.17&view=markup

And here for a discussion of the patent issues:

http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

Note that disabling is the default in FreeType2.

John Thacker