[Fontconfig] Re: How to disable the "global advance" for CJK fonts?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jun 30 03:11:42 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 15:58 +0200, Mike FABIAN wrote:
> Ambrose Li <acli at ada.dhs.org> さんは書きました:
>
> > Some time ago, iirc, someone else proposed on this list that global
> > advance be turned off by default for all CJK fonts; from what I
> > observe that would be an entirely reasonable thing, and I'd like to
> > know any technical reason why that should not be the case.

Is global advance *ever* useful?  Should the default in Xft be to ignore
global advance unless someone specifically sets
the flag? It seems like this should be the case as Fontconfig detects
monospaced fonts by disabling global advance and comparing glyph widths
without it.

> Currently I use the following workaround, which seems to work OK:
>
> <!--
>   The dual-width Asian fonts (spacing=dual) are not rendered correctly,
>   apparently FreeType forces all widths to match. Trying to disable the
>   width forcing code by setting globaladvance=false alone doesn't  help.
>   As a brute force workaround, also set spacing=proportional, i.e. handle
>   them as proportional fonts:
> -->

FreeType isn't responsible for interpreting the spacing value, that's
purely in Xft. That change is in Xft version 2.1.7, which was released
2005-3-29.

-keith