[Fontconfig] fontconfig 2.2.3 only works with iso8859-1

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 1 12:50:55 EST 2005

Around 23 o'clock on Feb 28, Dmitry Karasik wrote:

> Wait, when you used word 'eliminate' in the previous message does that
> mean that PCF/BDF fonts simply wouldn't be shipped in the future, or,
> in the contrary, wouldn't be recognized any longer?

Just that we'd take the existing BDF fonts and convert them to TTF wrapped
bitmaps and then discarding the BDF files.  With that done, we won't ever
need to 'compile' the fonts again.  The piece missing here is an
application that takes a single TTF file and generates the dozens of BDF
files it represents so that we can still get BDF files when needed, and so
we can validate that the conversion process is at least round-trippable.

I doubt the FreeType project is planning on discarding BDF/PCF support,
but I also doubt they're planning on making it work a whole lot better
than it does today, and it's pretty minimal at present (not supporting
anything other than Latin-1 and Unicode encoded fonts).

-keith