[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 8 08:39:17 EST 2005

Around 16 o'clock on Mar 7, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The logic follows, yes. I'd rather not have to explain it to my users
> that way :-)

I'm less concerned about the logical complexity than the outright
impossibility of modifying a selected face with a different slant or
weight.  If every font description includes a normative style name, then
you would want to eliminate any API accepting a description which sets the
subordinate style selector values.

It seems like the descriptor would need an informative style set by the
system and a normative style selected by the user.

> (needs extension to handle localized names ...
> get_face_name_for_language() likely)

If you come up with a useful abstraction which you think could live in
Fontconfig, let me know.  I'm not going to add (more) code which isn't
actually useful...

-keith