[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 08:53:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 13:39 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 16 o'clock on Mar 7, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > The logic follows, yes. I'd rather not have to explain it to my users
> > that way :-)
>
> I'm less concerned about the logical complexity than the outright
> impossibility of modifying a selected face with a different slant or
> weight.  If every font description includes a normative style name, then
> you would want to eliminate any API accepting a description which sets the
> subordinate style selector values.
>
> It seems like the descriptor would need an informative style set by the
> system and a normative style selected by the user.

Perhaps the name PangoFontDescription is confusing. It doesn't describe
a font (or face), rather it is a description of the needs of an
application to Pango. So, there would never be a reason to include
informative information in it.

> > (needs extension to handle localized names ...
> > get_face_name_for_language() likely)
>
> If you come up with a useful abstraction which you think could live in
> Fontconfig, let me know.  I'm not going to add (more) code which isn't
> actually useful...

I think, when I looked at it before, what is provided by fontconfig-2.3
should be sufficient to provide the API I want.

Regards,
						Owen