[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 8 08:41:44 EST 2005

Around 16 o'clock on Mar 7, Ambrose Li wrote:

> So even if we consider free fonts (even the GPL sense of free), and
> even if we consider TrueType and not Type 1, we still have to deal
> with this exact same problem.

Of course.  Windows has forced the world to admit to only four styles for
each family; any family with more than that has to find another way to
express them through the Windows UI.

Fortunately, the GPL fonts will permit changing of the family and style
names to fix this problem.  It's just a bug.

-keith