[Fontconfig] How to disable the "global advance" for CJK fonts?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Mar 19 18:33:03 EST 2005

Around 0 o'clock on Mar 19, Ambrose Li wrote:

> Honestly, in my collection of CJK fonts, the list of "exceptions"
> is about the same length as the list of correctly-handled fonts
> (if not longer).

I labeled it as an exceptional case because FreeType did (not to disclaim
responsibility, but to notice that I used no first-hand knowledge of fonts
when making this decision).

>From what people explained to me at the time, the font itself says whether
to use global advance and this actually instructs FreeType to disregard
that instruction.

Is there some sensible way to automatically tell whether global advance is
giving bogus values?  I don't even care how expensive it is to compute as
we can do it at font scan time instead of font load time.

-keith