[Fontconfig] mmaping FcInit

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 22 14:33:08 EST 2005

Around 1 o'clock on Mar 21, Patrick Lam wrote:

> In short, I think that one would need to replace pointers with array
> indices; to do otherwise seems to be asking for trouble.  I've started a
> patch that does this; my current patch is available at

Yes, of course the structures need to be address independent.  I was
thinking that at the same time we'd also investigate changing the search
algorithm and data structure to reduce the cost of searching and matching
fonts.

Right now, the cost of pattern matching scales linearaly with the number of
fonts, when you have thousands of fonts, this isn't acceptable.

-keith