[Fontconfig] mmaping FcInit

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 11:55:30 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 01:05 -0500, Patrick Lam wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
> > The fontconfig caches live in the font directories, which may be
> > shared between machines with different architectures. For that reason,
> > even if you remove pointers, you can't simply put a structure into
> > the file... the endianess and structure packing may differ between
> > machines.
>
> I was thinking that it would be quicker to create a file on a per-user
> basis, but I suppose that users might still log on using different archs.
>
> In fact FcPatterns themselves don't take up much room (using an
> FcPattern struct as you propose would probably double the amount of room
> taken).  However, the FcValues contained within the FcPatternElts do
> take up a lot of room, I think.

I don't think there is a useful distinction there :-). A FcPattern is
more or less a simply a refcounted list of key/value pairs. The amount
of memory we care about in the end is the amount of memory it takes to
store that key value pair list, not the amount of memory that
struct FcPattern consumes by itself.

Regards,
						Owen