[Fontconfig] Can't find usable expat library

Adrian Carmack joelsonv5 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 17:22:40 EST 2005

Hi, I'm having problems trying to build
fontconfig-2.3.1 on OpenBSD 3.6. Whenever I run
./configure, the script stops with the following error
message:

configure: error: Cannot find usable expat library.
This could mean that your version is too old.

Since my first attempt, I already had expat-1.95.8
installed, built from source.

Suspecting some kind of version incompatibility, I've
tried quite a few combinations of current and older
versions of both fontconfig and expat, tried removing
expat, and install the older 1.95.6 version from the
OpenBSD packages collection, but to no avail. The
configure script always stumbles upon the same error
message. I already did some googling too, but couldn't
find an useful answer.

These are the last few lines the configure script
generates before stopping:

checking for FT_Bitmap_Size.y_ppem... no
checking expat.h usability... yes
checking expat.h presence... yes
checking for expat.h... yes
checking XML_SetDoctypeDeclHandler... no
configure: error: Cannot find usable expat library.
This could mean that your version is too old.

It can't be too old, it's the latest version. Just in
case I tried some older versions of expat too, but as
I said before, the result was the same.

I run the configure with the
--with-expat-lib=/usr/local/include parameter, else
the script won't even find the expat.h include.

Could someone please help me get over this problem...
perhaps the solution would be editing the ./configure script?