[Fontconfig] q about PCF font

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 31 14:30:50 EST 2005

Around 12 o'clock on Mar 31, Yoshifumi Nishida wrote:

> Is there any way to use jisx201 or jisx0208 encoded pcf font with fontconfig?
> fontconfig can handle iso8859-1 and iso-10646 pcf fonts, but how about other
> encodings?  I would be grateful If someone would give me any hints,

It's not fontconfig -- it's FreeType which doesn't support non-Unicode
mappings for bdf/pcf fonts.

The 'right' solution is to convert the bdf font into a ttf font and
transcode to Unicode.  FreeType, fontconfig and Xft are quite happy to
deal with that result.

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote a preliminary version of a tool for this, but it
hasn't really ever been finished...

-keith