[Fontconfig] Re: Structure of cache files

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 05:36:01 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 13:26 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Ok, I have finally gotten around to compile the mmap branch on x86_64,
> > and tried to see how caches work across platforms. I copied
> > /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/fonts.cache-2 from i386 over, and ran
> > fc-cache -f /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/fonts.cache-2
> >
> > It did in fact update the fonts.cache-2 file, but the result did only
> > have one section for x86_64, the i386 section was gone. Am I missing
> > something ? How am I supposed to create a multi-platform fonts.cache-2
> > file ?
>
> That's the proper way to create a multi-platform fonts.cache-2 file, but
> it must be a bug; I've changed the code a lot and haven't necessarily
> tested it.  I'll look into it later today.
>
> pat

Just trying this again, it worked when copying an x86_64 cache to a i386
machine.  Let me try the other way around again. I notice though, that
FcDirCacheValid() needs to become a bit smarter. It should not consider
a cache valid if it doesn't contain a section for the current platform.
Otherwise, fc-cache may fail to add a section for the current plaform,
since the cache file appears uptodate, timestamp-wise.

Matthias