[Fontconfig] Font styles and familes - match and replace?

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Sat Oct 8 01:58:06 EST 2005

Hi

I should retract my statement about italics not working, as it
sort of works (slanted type synthesized) and most people would
say it works; though you would know that it does not really
work if you know what "italics" really means in typography.

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 08:19:38PM +0900, mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:

> Please let me know detail of "trademark problem".
> Michael took it as legal issue, but I'm afraid you meant different.
> I don't think it's less-problematic to distribute information
> "about" commercial fonts, if they don't have non-public part of
> the commercial fonts. I suppose what you meant was comprehensive
> research for existing commercial font is difficult work.
> If I'm misunderstanding, please correct.

As I understood it it is indeed "legal", or rather possibility to
being sued. (I would say abuse of the legal system by commercial
companies.) The response I got was: