[Fontconfig] pattern matching and embolden

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 17 14:55:48 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 04:47 -0400, James Cloos wrote:
> MP> I tried disabling the artificial embolden but it doesn't seem to
> MP> let me, the only way to get rid of the artificial embolden seems
> MP> to be to disable it globally in the fonts.conf file.
>
> You may need to add more conditions to the clause that enables it,
> enabling it only if the font name doesn't match the broken fonts.
>
> OTOH it may just be better to fix the fonts.  Ttx ought to let
> you do so w/o screwing up any of the fonts’ features.  Seems
> to be the only way to get them working globally.

Hey wow - I hadn't heard of that.
I actually had used fontforge to fix them (convert to fontforge format,
run perl on the fontforge file, convert back to font) but for some
fonts, it also "automatically" changed stuff I didn't necessarily want
altered.

I'll have to try Ttx and see if it does it to better satisfaction.

I believe the rationale behind using unique family names is to make sure
the font is available in applications that do not properly grab the
style when "bold" or "italic" is clicked (or don't offer the style
buttons at all).