[Fontconfig] FcFontMatch oddities

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 18 11:02:05 PDT 2006

Roman Shaposhnick wrote:

> The question is quite simple -- it seems that quite explicitly fontconfig
> doesn't let a client application request an exact set of properties for
> a font and how this font is supposed to be rendered. Basically, even though,
> I can do something like:
>
>    $ xterm -fa 'mono:bgr'
>
> and even though at a pattern level ':bgr' gets recognized and passes upstream,
> when it comes to 'FcFontMatch' everything that has to do with the rendering
> gets stripped.

You'll have to ask keithp why this is the case, but yes, I believe that
FcFontMatch only matches on the pattern elements that are explicitly
listed in _FcMatchers in fcmatch.c, namely foundry, charset, family,
lang, spacing, pixelsize, style, slant, weight, width, antialias,
rasterizer, outline and fontversion.

pat