[Fontconfig] fontconfig vs mkfontdir

Jim Osborn jimo at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 3 21:54:35 PST 2006

I've finally got access to all the fonts on my system (after reverting
to fontconfig 2.3.2), and all seems well.  But I notice the following
warning in my /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

  (WW) "fonts.dir" not found (or not valid) in "/usr/local/share/fonts".
    Entry deleted from font path.
    (Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/local/share/fonts").

My naive question is: does fontconfig replace mkfontdir?

If not, is there any danger of conflict between them?  If I run
mkfontdir on one of my top-level font directories, as the warning
suggests, could I upset the splendid operation of fontconfig?

When I add a font to my system, should I run both mkfontdir and fc-cache?

TIA,

Jim