[Fontconfig] How to add a Burmese font to Monospace?

Harald Vajkonny vajkonny at t-online.de
Sun Aug 12 11:59:45 PDT 2007

Hello,

I would like to add a Burmese font to the Monospace family (in order to
display the glyphs for the Unicode Ranges U+1000 to U+1100). I have some
ttf-files to choose from (e.g. MyaZedi.ttf), but I don't know how to
configure them. Especially I have no clue about how to assign a family
name to a ttf-font or to determine it from the ttf-file, if it is
compiled into it. I tried fontforge on the installed fonts for
Monospace, but I only get information, which seems to be similar to what
I find declared in my conf.d-files, but no exact matches.

On my system (Linux Suse 10.2, KDE) I use Monospace Bold as a default
font in my KDE-konsole as well as in vim/gvim. When I follow the inputs
to these programs with strace I get the following informations for the
fonts to be loaded for various alphabets:

Latin: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf
Japanese: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ipag.ttf
Arabic: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/terafikb.ttf
Hindi: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/Gargi_1.7.ttf
Armenian:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/FreeMono.ttf
Georgian: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/FreeMonoBold.ttf

For these files I get in fontforge the following families:
DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf: Deja Vu Sans Mono
ipag.ttf: IPAGothic
terafikb.ttf: Terafik Bold
Gargi_1.7.ttf: Gargi_1.7
FreeMono.ttf: FreeMono
FreeMonoBold: FreeMono

As far as I understood, the fontfamily is selected in the file /etc/fonts/conf.d/40-generic.conf. On my system this files looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
> <!--
>   Mark common families with their generics so we'll get
>   something reasonable
> -->
>
> <!--
>   Serif faces
>  -->
>         <alias>
>                 <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
>                 <family>DejaVu Serif</family>
>                 <family>Times New Roman</family>
>                 <family>Times</family>
>                 <family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
>                 <family>Luxi Serif</family>
>                 <family>Kochi Mincho</family>
>                 <family>AR PL SungtiL GB</family>
>                 <family>AR PL Mingti2L Big5</family>
>                 <family>MS 明朝</family>
>                 <family>Baekmuk Batang</family>
>                 <family>SimSun</family>
>                 <family>FreeSerif</family>
>                 <family>MgOpen Canonica</family>
>         </alias>
> <!--
>   Sans-serif faces
>  -->
>         <alias>
>                 <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
>                 <family>DejaVu Sans</family>
>                 <family>Helvetica</family>
>                 <family>Arial</family>
>                 <family>Verdana</family>
>                 <family>Albany AMT</family>
>                 <family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
>                 <family>Luxi Sans</family>
>                 <family>Kochi Gothic</family>
>                 <family>AR PL KaitiM GB</family>
>                 <family>AR PL KaitiM Big5</family>
>                 <family>MS ゴシック</family>
>                 <family>Baekmuk Dotum</family>
>                 <family>FreeSans</family>
>                 <family>MgOpen Modata</family>
>        </alias>
><!--
>   Monospace faces
>  -->
>         <alias>
>                 <family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
>                 <family>DejaVu Sans Mono</family>
>                 <family>Courier</family>
>                 <family>Courier New</family>
>                 <family>Andale Mono</family>
>                 <family>Luxi Mono</family>
>                 <family>Cumberland AMT</family>
>                 <family>Nimbus Mono L</family>
>                 <family>NSimSun</family>
>                 <family>FreeMono</family>
>         </alias>
> </fontconfig>

Can anybody explain me how the family Names are assigned to the ttf-files and what I have to do to make my font becoming member of the Monospace family?

Best regards,
Harald