[Fontconfig] distribute font with application

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:07:19 PDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Peter Shinners <peters at imageworks.com> wrote:
> How can an application add extra "font" directories at startup? Is there
> an environment variable that allows adding directories to the fontconfig
> search path?
>
> We have a few .ttf files we would like to distribute internally with an
> application. This is using Qt4 built with fontconfig support. Adding the
> fonts to all user's or all system's font directories is not a good option.
>
> These are systems running CentOS4, fontconfig version 2.2.3.

What you can do is place the fonts in something like
/usr/share/myapplication/fonts
when the administrator installs the application.
Then, when the user runs the application for the first time, you put a
copy of the fonts into ~/.fonts/myapplication/

Per user fonts are located by default in ~/.fonts/. The fonts are
discovered even if they are in subdirectories.

Simos