[Fontconfig] fc-list output changes from 2.2.3 to 2.4.2

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Sun Oct 14 23:18:13 PDT 2007

Hi,

Yet I've not tried to reproduce the problem, but the problem
looks interesting.

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote (2007/10/14 21:52):
> Hello all,
>
> On the default installation of Redhat ES 4 ( fontconfig version 2.2.3,
> rpm version 2.2.3-7 ), the output of fc-list is as follows
>
> fc-list | grep Motoya
> MotoyaExMaru:style=W3 KP
> MotoyaExCedar:style=W3 mono
> MotoyaExCedar:style=W3
>
> But after manually upgrading ( with ./configure --prefix=/usr; make;
> sudo make install ) to fontconfig 2.4.2, the output of fc-list became:
>
> $fc-list  | grep W3 | grep Maru
> モトヤEXマルベリ3KP,MotoyaExMaru,ÉÇÉgÉÑEXÉ}ÉãÉxÉä3KP:style=Regular,W3 KP
> モトヤEXマルベリ3等幅,MotoyaExMaru,ÉÇÉgÉÑEXÉ}ÉãÉxÉä3ìôïù:style=Regular,W3 mono
> モトヤEXマルベリ3,MotoyaExMaru,ÉÇÉgÉÑEXÉ}ÉãÉxÉä3:style=Regular,W3
>
> You can notice the changes:
>
> 1. The first token added: "モトヤEXマルベリ3KP"
> 2. The 3rd token added: "ÉÇÉgÉÑEXÉ}ÉãÉxÉä3KP" ( FYI, seems like a
> corrupted Japanese text ).

I guess, your Motoya font provides 3 string data for
each name properties: one is Unicode, one is ASCII,
and one may be Shift-JIS. Old fontconfig may find
ASCII one and discard others, but new fontconfig
may store all of them. Possibly the difference from
"W3" (older) to "Regular,W3" (newer) may be similar.

> And FYI, fc-match seems to give the wrong font match:
>
> $fc-match MotoyaExMaru:W5
> MTXmr3kp.ttc: "MotoyaExMaru" "W3"
>
> #W5 vs W3.
>
> Does anyone know why?

Excuse me, your problem is: "both of MotoyaExMaru W3
and W5 are available, but fc-match returns W3 against
the request for W5"?
Or, "MotoyaExMaru W5 is not installed and fc-match is
expected to return nothing, but returns MotoyaExMaru W3"?
Yet I've not investigated the typeface matching
algorithm, I want to know what's your problem.

> And because the format of fc-list is changed, some of our cairo code
> that is depend of fontType ( MotoyaExCedar:style=W3 ) has stopped
> functioning and they felt back to system "default" font.

Regards,
mpsuzuki