[Fontconfig] Finding a font but without fallback

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Apr 26 12:02:01 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 00:58 +0200, Pierre Marchand wrote:

> As an example, in Fontmatrix we ask for all directories registered in the
> Fontconfig configuration and then we build our own list of font files by
> running recursively through these directories. We do so rather than FcList
> because we want to avoid our own registered directory. Once you get this
> list, you’ll be able to do watever you want with these files.

I hope you realize what a performance cost this is -- fontconfig has
been designed to cache information about fonts reasonably efficiently;
on my system with 3382 font files, 'fc-list foo', which reads the entire
database scanning it for any fonts named 'foo', takes 19ms.

If fontconfig doesn't provide the interface you need, please build what
you want and let us see it. We can't fix the library if you continue to
work around it.

keith.packard at intel.com