[Fontconfig] Synthetic Emboldening and Blurriness

Erik erik at beanbasket.com
Tue Aug 5 19:14:27 PDT 2008

An issue I have noticed with the synthetic emboldening is that the upper
parts of glyphs are not hinted properly;  i.e. there is blurriness in
the vertical direction.  From testing, it appears that this only affects
antialiased fonts, which makes sense.  From digging around online, I
read that this is possibly because freetype is hinting prior to the
emboldening step.  Is there currently a way to get the desired effect
(no blurriness) and still have antialiasing enabled?