[Fontconfig] Problem with bitmap fonts

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue Feb 3 12:48:31 PST 2009

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Oll Korrect.  I agree that rounding to integer and matching is what I prefer.
> My main issue with going ahead and doing this is that then when you choose a
> bitmap font in a font dialog you see fallback fonts.  Unless the dialog
> correctly populates the size column from the actual sizes of the font.  At
> least the GTK+ font dialog doesn't do that currently.  Pango has API for this
> though, so it's easy fix on my side.

It would be great if the GTK font chooser did do that. I can remember
even back in the days of Windows 3.x Microsoft did that part correctly.

A little off-topic, but it would be great if the GTK font dialog only
listed real fonts in real sizes. I'm sure that when I'm in "user mode"
I'm not the only one who finds it confusing that something three or four
fonts look exactly the same (and they are, it's how fontconfig maps them
to multiple aliases). This is great for the computer coming up with
substitutes, but it's bad for users.

--Pat