[Fontconfig] lcdfilter constants not recognized

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Feb 21 21:50:16 PST 2009

>>>>> "Nikos" == Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at arcor.de> writes:

Nikos> I'm using Fontconfig 2.6.0 (on Gentoo Linux).  Some applications result
Nikos> in this fontconfig error message at startup:

I use the live ebuild for fontconfig, but my last compile grabbed the
same version as in the 2.6.0 tar.

Nikos> Fontconfig warning: "local.conf", line 11: invalid constant used :
Nikos> lcddefault
Nikos> I've tried all lcdfilter constants (lcdnone, lcdlegacy, lcdlight,
Nikos> lcddefault) but all of them are reported as invalid.

They work for me.  Try this:

:; grep -lF lcdnone /usr/lib/libfontconfig.{a,so}

Does that string appear in the .a and .so?  Do the other lcd constants?

I tried running pango-view with FC_DEBUG set to each power-of-two from 1
to 1024 and found references to lcdfilter in FC_DEBUG=4's output.

My conf does:

,----[ 99-filter-by-hints.conf ]
| <?xml version="1.0"?>
| <fontconfig>
|
|  <match target="font" >
|    <test name="hinting" compare="eq">
|      <bool>false</bool>
|    </test>
|    <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter" >
|      <const>lcdlight</const>
|    </edit>
|  </match>
|
|  <match target="font" >
|    <test name="hintstyle" compare="eq">
|      <const>hintslight</const>
|    </test>
|    <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter" >
|      <const>lcddefault</const>
|    </edit>
|  </match>
|
|  <match target="font" >
|    <test name="hintstyle" compare="eq">
|      <const>hintfull</const>
|    </test>
|    <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter" >
|      <const>lcdlegacy</const>
|    </edit>
|  </match>
|
|  <match target="font" >
|    <test name="autohint" compare="eq">
|      <bool>true</bool>
|    </test>
|    <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter" >
|      <const>lcddefault</const>
|    </edit>
|  </match>
|
| </fontconfig>
`----

And those settings do get used, according to the FC_DEBUG output.

I don't see anything in the 2.6.0-r2 ebuild which would be different.

-JimC