[Fontconfig] PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG error

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:25:18 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Peter <pcpc168 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> From: Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Fontconfig] PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG error
>> To: pcpc168 at sbcglobal.net
>> Cc: "Alan Coopersmith" <Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com>, fontconfig at lists.freedesktop.org
>> Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 1:42 PM
>> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Peter

>> PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG?

>> already. But I

>> the
>> an
>> tarball like
>> >
>> > It is from fontconfig tarball. not sure why it failed
>> to expand,
>> > is there a way I can manually expand to see if I can
>> fix the problem?
>>
>> I just looked at the 2.6.0 tarball, and it looks fine. Are
>> you running
>> autoconf or autoreconf after unpacking? Otherwise, run
>> "autoreconf
>> -iv" and make sure that aclocal can find the file
>> pkg.m4. I don't know
>> how this works on mac, but on linux it would be in
>> /usr/share/aclocal.
>
> tried.
> sudo autoreconf -iv --force
> sudo configure
>
> it has the same error message. I assume that PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG should exist somewhere to run. if pkg-config-0.23.tar.gz  is installed,
> where PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG is expected to be?

First, I just looked at the tarball, and if you just run configure
right away it should be fine. Are you running any commands before you
run ./configure? Could you show the output of the commands?

Second, if you really need to rebuild the autotools, then the
pkg-config autoconf macros need to be available. If you have the
output from autoreconf, it might help.

You also don't need to run all the commands as root.

--
Dan