[Fontconfig] Problems with fc-arch

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Nov 22 14:47:07 PST 2009

On 11/21/2009 06:02 PM, James Cloos wrote:

> Most of these suggestions are spot on, but:
>
> N>  3. please consider moving the built-in fontconfig files from
> N>     /etc/conf.avail to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail as per FHS
>
> I'm not convinced that they should move; they are end-user editable
> config files, symlinks from /etc to /usr are not always welcome,
> keeping one's /etc/fonts in a scm works better, (and I've managed
> to forget the other argument or two I wanted to make.)
>
> I think Keith was right to put all of the fontconfig configuration
> together in /etc/fonts.

Yes and no.  I agree with what Nicolas said in his reply.  In general the
problem with the snippets in conf.avail is that it's not clear how they are
supposed to be used.  I suggest we take Nicolas's recommendations and write
them out in conf.d/README.  Nicolas, care to submit a patch?

> N>  4. please consider installing the fontconfig DTD in /usr/share/xml
> N>     as per FHS (and register it in system xml catalogs)
>
> If so, please do this in addition to /etc/fonts/fonts.dtd, not instead of.

I agree.

On 11/21/2009 11:09 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

 > Isn't that a receipe for de-sync?

Nah, why?  Neither file is supposed to be modified.

behdad