[Fontconfig] A developer's question

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Mar 25 13:10:47 PDT 2010

On 03/16/2010 07:01 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hi, my name is Christopher and a have a sort of hit and run question for
> the fontconfig e-mail list. I've written a small game in C++, and I'm
> trying to compile together a fairly portable binary, linking in
> libraries statically whenever possible. I'm using the clanlib game
> engine, which depends on libfreetype and libfontconfig. I wanted to
> compile these libraries in statically also, but I kind of got the
> impression from the libfontconfig home page that it wouldn't make much
> sense to compile libfontconfig in statically because the user would need
> to install it on his own anyway, at least in order to get the /etc
> config files setup.

The easiest way would be to use the env var FONTCONFIG_FILE to point it to
your custom root config file.  And you should tailor your config files to use
alternate font and cache directories instead of the defaults.  You should in
fact be able to get away with a two line config file pointing to your root
font dir and tmp cache dir only.

behdad