[Fontconfig] Cannot change DPI in ~/.fonts.conf for X applications?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 19:11:07 PDT 2010

On 2010/05/09 02:55 (GMT+0100) Pedro Ribeiro composed:

> sorry for what might be a noob question. Only recently I discovered
> the wonders of changing the DPI (I have poor eyesight for my high
> resolution monitor).
> I tried to change the DPI setting to something more acceptable (100 is
> the ideal), but I cannot seem to be able to do it on ~/.fonts.conf. I
> have there the correct setting:

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
>  	<match target="font" >
>   		<edit mode="assign" name="dpi" >
>    			<double>100</double>
>   		</edit>
>  	</match>
> </fontconfig>

> However no application seems to take it seriously. But if I edit
> ~/.Xresources and add:

> Xft.dpi:	100

> the 100 DPI setting is enforced. Am I doing something wrong in
> .fonts.conf or is this normal?

Different distros and distro versions have different ideas whether DPI should
be forced, and to what, and how to go about it if they do. You've provided
neither your distro, and its version, and you're not entirely clear what DPI
you want, and you've said nothing about what DPI you're experiencing. There's
only random likelihood anyone can help you get what you want without more
information.

Some DPI references: http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/fonts-linux-about.html

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/