[Fontconfig] Cannot change DPI in ~/.fonts.conf for X applications?

Pedro Ribeiro pedrib at gmail.com
Sun May 9 08:38:40 PDT 2010

On 9 May 2010 03:11, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2010/05/09 02:55 (GMT+0100) Pedro Ribeiro composed:
>
>> sorry for what might be a noob question. Only recently I discovered
>> the wonders of changing the DPI (I have poor eyesight for my high
>> resolution monitor).
>> I tried to change the DPI setting to something more acceptable (100 is
>> the ideal), but I cannot seem to be able to do it on ~/.fonts.conf. I
>> have there the correct setting:
>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
>> <fontconfig>
>>       <match target="font" >
>>               <edit mode="assign" name="dpi" >
>>                       <double>100</double>
>>               </edit>
>>       </match>
>> </fontconfig>
>
>> However no application seems to take it seriously. But if I edit
>> ~/.Xresources and add:
>
>> Xft.dpi:      100
>
>> the 100 DPI setting is enforced. Am I doing something wrong in
>> .fonts.conf or is this normal?
>
> Different distros and distro versions have different ideas whether DPI should
> be forced, and to what, and how to go about it if they do. You've provided
> neither your distro, and its version, and you're not entirely clear what DPI
> you want, and you've said nothing about what DPI you're experiencing. There's
> only random likelihood anyone can help you get what you want without more
> information.
>
> Some DPI references: http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/fonts-linux-about.html
> --
> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Sorry for that, it was late and I completely forgot!

I'm using Debian testing (Squeeze) and my DPI is set to 96. My ideal
DPI for this screen, resolution and my eyesight is 100.
I have used it before - used to change it in
gnome-appearance-properties. I got rid of GNOME and now I'm using
openbox, so I need to set it in another way.

The link you sent me is very helpful. On http://scanline.ca/dpi/ it
says that gnome-appearance-properties changed the Xft.dpi, so I guess
I can stick to that one.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Pedro