[Fontconfig] strict check for object modification

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Sat Aug 11 04:07:46 PDT 2012

Akira TAGOH wrote:
> [...]
> So I want to sort out what objects are allowed to edit and where the
> target is it in. please let me know if something wrong and the
> use-case why it needs. particularly for target="pattern". I'm listing

For target="scan" and target="font", I agree that can make sense.

However, for target="pattern", I think that all properties that can be
specified by users/applications (which are basically _all_ properties),
should also remain editable in the pattern through rules, even if they
don't take effect until after the match.

For example, in environments where none of the 10-* config files are
enabled by default, it is entirely possible that applications specify
fonts like

   sans:rgba=rgb

for some uses and

   sans:rgba=none

for others.

I think it would be irritating if patterns like these couldn't fully be
edited in the configuration.
Now it's true that such cases could still be sorted out after the match.
It just seems a bit arbitrary to forbid such edits.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 Germany +49-179-2981632 icq 16845346