[Fontconfig] strict check for object modification

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Mon Aug 13 19:34:01 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Raimund Steger <rs at mytum.de> wrote:
> all the way I like, it will _not_ be propagated and the resulting font will
> still have 'scalable' set to "true", even though 'scalable' isn't used by
> the matcher. That's because the property has the value "true" for the best
> result in the match which is the cache entry for Helvetica.pfa.

Yes, I like that too. they could add the sort of the boolean value to
the result of FcFontMatch() in their code - actually it's hard to
recognize what objects are added in the rules or the initial pattern.
if we want to make obvious difference between target="pattern" and
target="font", FcFontMatch() should returns FcPattern from the cache
as is.

> However, I can assign any number of weak properties in my configuration, not
> only things like 'rgba', but custom ones to group evaluation results or,
> from Solaris JDS default configuration, 'disable_pango_script' and these
> _will_ be propagated.
>
> I wouldn't want it any other way, actually...

Well, I don't still see why it can't be done in target="font" rather
than target="pattern". I was thinking possibly reasons that one wants
to edit objects regardless of the matcher, may be to reflect some
parameters in the initial pattern to the result. but as I said the
above, that may be better doing it outside fontconfig.  So I totally
lost the reason to allow editing all of objects in target="pattern".

--
Akira TAGOH