[Fontconfig] strict check for object modification

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Mon Aug 13 17:38:28 PDT 2012

Akira TAGOH wrote:
> [...]
> Is it expected that the pattern in the kind of the strong binding
> should be inherited to the result? or should the explicit patterns be
> inherited if it's not the objects to be checked with the matcher?

It was my understanding (of FcFontRenderPrepare(3)) that exactly those
properties are propagated from the pattern to the font that are _not_
already in the font, regardless of their binding or whether they are
used in the match.

For example, if I have Type 1 Helvetica installed, I can issue

   fc-match -v Helvetica:scalable=false

all the way I like, it will _not_ be propagated and the resulting font
will still have 'scalable' set to "true", even though 'scalable' isn't
used by the matcher. That's because the property has the value "true"
for the best result in the match which is the cache entry for Helvetica.pfa.

However, I can assign any number of weak properties in my configuration,
not only things like 'rgba', but custom ones to group evaluation results
or, from Solaris JDS default configuration, 'disable_pango_script' and
these _will_ be propagated.

I wouldn't want it any other way, actually...

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 Germany +49-179-2981632 icq 16845346