[Fontconfig] Composite Font Representation

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Fri Aug 24 10:01:45 PDT 2012

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 08/10/2012 02:07 AM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM, suzuki toshiya
>> <mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>>> In my understanding, fontconfig does not provide a font face "object",
>>> so new thin layer above fontconfig & freetype is expected.
>> That's true. after reading the paper, I'm thinking of similar.
>> supporting the CFR in fontconfig only may needs a lot of changes in
>> applications as well as fontconfig. if freetype has any hook to be
>> filled in the missing piece, that would be easier. particularly to
>> know where the real font is in, what the fallback font is if it's
>> missing and what the language is preferred too maybe.
>
> Actually I don't agree.  I think this fits better into fontconfig: on the
> matching / enumeration side of things, the CFR looks as if it's one font, but
> it in fact expands to multiple fonts.  It's very similar to what 'sans', or
> 'arial' mean right now, or even 'Droid Sans'.

So, the CFR should be supported as yet another format of fontconfig's config
file, and still the application programmer should not expect as if the CFR
does not simplify the requirement of the consideration of multiple fonts
for a face name? If so, some translator from the CFR file to a file in fontconfig
DTD would be the solution?

Regards,
mpsuzuki