[Fontconfig] Composite Font Representation

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Aug 24 09:37:41 PDT 2012

On 08/10/2012 02:07 AM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM, suzuki toshiya
> <mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>> In my understanding, fontconfig does not provide a font face "object",
>> so new thin layer above fontconfig & freetype is expected.
>
> That's true. after reading the paper, I'm thinking of similar.
> supporting the CFR in fontconfig only may needs a lot of changes in
> applications as well as fontconfig. if freetype has any hook to be
> filled in the missing piece, that would be easier. particularly to
> know where the real font is in, what the fallback font is if it's
> missing and what the language is preferred too maybe.

Actually I don't agree.  I think this fits better into fontconfig: on the
matching / enumeration side of things, the CFR looks as if it's one font, but
it in fact expands to multiple fonts.  It's very similar to what 'sans', or
'arial' mean right now, or even 'Droid Sans'.

> Aside from that we may need to add the postscript name in the cache to
> allow on the lookup since the CFR uses it rather than the family name.

That would be useful for PDF viewers regardless of this.

behdad