[Fontconfig] RFC: Substitution for Lucida fonts

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Tue Jan 10 14:02:25 PST 2012

Hi,

it was recently brought to my attention that some web sites, like
xkcd.com request Lucida fonts by default, and on Linux and *BSD
systems get the more or less ugly X bitmapped fonts.

For the OpenBSD project, I wrote the following substitution file to
try to provide saner fonts for the Lucida family when not present (or
when only the bitmapped ones are there) and to prefer the truetype
versions if present.

I'd like to have comments/better suggestions on it, and eventually see
if something like  that can become part of the default fontconfig
install.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<!--
	Provides alternatives for various Lucida fonts
  -->
        <!-- Substitutions for ugly bitmap fonts -->
	<match target="pattern">
	  <test qual="any" name="family">
	    <string>Lucida</string>
	  </test>