[Fontconfig] RFC: Substitution for Lucida fonts

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Tue Jan 10 15:57:25 PST 2012

Hi,

On 2012-01-10 23:02, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> it was recently brought to my attention that some web sites, like
> xkcd.com request Lucida fonts by default, and on Linux and *BSD
> systems get the more or less ugly X bitmapped fonts.

Wouldn't it be more common to simply disable bitmap fonts altogether for
people who don't like them? I mean, using <rejectfont> to remove
non-scalable fonts? This is normally something the user chooses when
their distribution configures the fontconfig installation.

Still, I would dare say that any website that specifically uses the name
"Lucida" (such as xkcd) aims at getting the bitmap variant, given that
spelling isn't really used for any scalable Lucida variant I know of.
Unconditionally rewriting that seems a bit radical.

I personally prefer 75dpi PCF Lucida over the anti-aliased variants any
day (especially in my editor, which naturally also uses fontconfig), but
then again, I'm on Solaris where the Lucida Sans* fonts are available as
TTF, and I'm already used to having a hard time getting my bitmap Lucida...

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 Germany +49-179-2981632 icq 16845346