[Fontconfig] Fontconfig 2.10.0 mingw build broken

Damon Register damon.w.register at lmco.com
Mon Jul 23 05:36:28 PDT 2012

On 7/22/2012 10:47 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> Hmm, what the version of ln command is it? that looks like it prevents
It is version 5.97.

> to install something with DESTDIR say. for the real install, we could
> use install-data-hook instead of install-data-local though, it doesn't
> help when using DESTDIR with that broken ln command.
I don't follow.  How is it broken?  Even though the ln might be broken,
I can look at the code in ./conf.d/Makefile and source directory used
(ln -s source dest) just doesn't make sense (to me anyway).

>> I know it is a hack but I tried changing templatedir to abs_srcdir under
>> that target.  The make install completes without error.
>
> It's wrong. installed symlinks shouldn't be referred to the source
> directory. as I mentioned above, you can use install-data-hook instead
> of install-data-local in your case. but you better use sane ln command
> if any.
I am not sure what is required for "sane".  Here is the setup.  The destination
to where I install the various packages that I am building is /c/gtk3.
The source where I have unpacked the tar is /d/gtki2/fontconfig-2.10.0.

source: /d/gtki2/fontconfig-2.10.0
dest:   /c/gtk3

The make install target in question (install-data-local:) is trying to
ln -s from to
where from is a directory under /c/gtk3 (the destination)

There are a few things that just don't make sense.
1. the "from" is a non-existent folder in the destination install location
2. why should choosing a non-existent "from" be blamed on the ln command.
    That is operator error, is it not?
3. These files in question do exist in the source build folder.  Is this
    not a logical place for them to be?
4. Shouldn't the general goal be to get those files from the source to
    the destination through some method whether it be cp, ln or mv?
5. if "installed symlinks shouldn't be referred to the source", then to
    where should they be referred?  Should there perhaps have been a cp
    preceding the ln so that the files are copied and then linked?

I do see that the make process is different in this area when compared to
fontconfig-2.9.0.  when I build that one, there isn't any problem.

Damon Register