[Fontconfig] FreeType now includes Infinality subpixel support

Infinality infinality at infinality.net
Tue Jun 19 20:39:21 PDT 2012

Currently subpixel hinting is enabled (when compiled in) whenever
anything but FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO is requested.  It may be possible to
add a flag to freetype to indicate that subpixel hinting should be
turned on, however I'm not sure there's much value in that, given that
rendering antialiased fonts without subpixel hinting doesn't produce
more accurate or desirable results.  For legacy fonts, subpixel hinting
should always produce better results, and for modern fonts the
differences will likely be subtle, but in the favor of the subpixel
hinted renderings.  The only reason I could see to implement such a flag
would be for people who have gotten used to the way that the native
freetype TT hinter renders legacy fonts with antialiasing, which is
definitely not the way the designers intended them to appear (due to
DELTAP and SHPIX dents in the outlines among other things).

So, I guess my point is that you may not need to do anything to
fontconfig to support subpixel hinting.  I'm willing to hear other
people's opinions on this too.

Thanks,
Erik