[Fontconfig] FreeType now includes Infinality subpixel support

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Wed Jun 20 00:19:42 PDT 2012

Hi,

One concern on this matter is how it affects to the visibility when
mixing up the fonts with/without ClearType bytecode. I may be wrong
because I'm not checking that myself. but just heard one get tired
easily to keep looking in that situation. dunno.

Other than that, it may be useful for buggy fonts.

As Windows still has an option to turn off (right?), it just sounds
not so bad idea to me. having said that the flag might be deprecated
in the future though.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Infinality <infinality at infinality.net> wrote:
> Currently subpixel hinting is enabled (when compiled in) whenever anything
> but FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO is requested.  It may be possible to add a flag to
> freetype to indicate that subpixel hinting should be turned on, however I'm
> not sure there's much value in that, given that rendering antialiased fonts
> without subpixel hinting doesn't produce more accurate or desirable results.
>  For legacy fonts, subpixel hinting should always produce better results,
> and for modern fonts the differences will likely be subtle, but in the favor
> of the subpixel hinted renderings.  The only reason I could see to implement
> such a flag would be for people who have gotten used to the way that the
> native freetype TT hinter renders legacy fonts with antialiasing, which is
> definitely not the way the designers intended them to appear (due to DELTAP
> and SHPIX dents in the outlines among other things).
>
> So, I guess my point is that you may not need to do anything to fontconfig
> to support subpixel hinting.  I'm willing to hear other people's opinions on
> this too.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik
>

> On 06/18/2012 08:11 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know. I suppose we'll support that feature in 2.10+.
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM,  <pgajdos at suse.cz> wrote:
>>>
>>> JFYI,
>>>

>>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=79e36baebba4532dff92ca1ca43c4dc2f779fd32
>>>
>>> Petr