[Fontconfig] Request for implementing font substitution for CJK fonts

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Wed May 30 23:14:35 PDT 2012

First of all, my opinion on this kind of question/suggestion is, to
let you encourage to work together with the font upstream or the
distros if you want the complete list of the fallback. this is because
it's quite hard to settle all of requirements and preferences. IMHO
having minimal amount of the rules in fontconfig would be sufficient.
we could have an example in fontconfig how to write the rule of the
fallback though, it's not the things that mean our recommendation
about the order of the fonts.
Aside from that, having the rules in fontconfig for the fonts may not
installed on the system more or less affects its performance and
footprint.

Well, that may be nice if we can provide a tool to generate the kind
of the rules instead as I posted here some while ago. dunno.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM, BlissSam <m13253 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello fontconfig, I am a Simplified Chinese user, and I want font
> substitution for CJK fonts to be implemented.
>
> Most Chinese fonts are mainly divided into four styles:
>   1. Song (Pronounced `soon'), serif, also called `Ming' in Taiwan and Hong
> Kong, `Mincho' in Japan, `Batang' in Korea)
>   2. Hei, sans-serif, also called `Meiryo' in Japan, `Dotum' in Korea
>   3. Kai, brush handwriting style, likely to be serif
>   4. FangSong, likely to be sans-serif
>   5. Others such as Li, Wei, etc, is not discussed here.
>
> I have sorted these fonts according to my preference, however, I do not know
> a lot about what fonts users in TW, HK, JP, or KR prefer.
>
> Hei:
>   WenQuanYi Micro Hei (Free font)
>   WenQuanYi Zen Hei   (Free font)
>   Hiragino Sans GB    (Used in OS X Lion as default)
>   Microsoft Yahei     (Used in Windows Vista and above as default)
>   STHeiTi             (Used in iOS as default, in OS X and in Windows)
>   SimHei              (Used in Windows)
>   Droid Sans Fallback (Used in Android as default)
>
> Song:
>   STSong         (Used in OS X and in Windows)
>   SimSun         (Used in Windows)
>   AR PL UMing CN (Free font, this is the worst choice because Arphic's CN
> fonts are in TW style although it is marked `CN')
>
> Kai:
>   STKaiti       (Used in OS X and in Windows)
>   KaiTi         (Used in Windows Vista and above)
>   KaiTi_GB2312  (Used in Windows XP and below)
>   AR PL UKai CN (Free font)
>
> FangSong:
>   STFangsong      (Used in OS X and in Windows)
>   FangSong        (Used in Windows Vista and above)
>   FangSong_GB2312 (Used in Windows XP and below)
>
> What I want to be implemented is, when one of the fonts is missing,
> fontconfig will search for others for substitution.
> For example, if a document requires SimHei which is not installed currently,
> fontconfig may use WenQuanYi Micro Hei instead. And if Micro Hei is missing
> either, Zen Hei will be used.
>
> Sincerely yours.

Akira TAGOH