[Fontconfig] Font matching questions in Fontconfig, Portable

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Oct 2 15:23:38 PDT 2012

On 01-Oct-2012 16:07, Raimund Steger wrote:

> Now the question is what kind of fontconfig configuration Inkscape
> for Windows uses, if any, as there's no system fontconfig on Windows.
> I doubt it's a Cygwin build though. Maybe it ships its own version of
> the GTK/Pango/fontconfig stack.

Inkscape builds under mingw.  There is something called "devlibs" which
is
is a compendium of different libraries needed by Inkscape, including
fontconfig.
For a binary distribution the configuration files end up in

   ...\inkscape\etc\fonts

and when the fontconfig parts run it populates:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local
Settings\Temp\fontconfig\cache

> In this case the application you
> develop should probably use the same configuration, i. e. if you're
> testing with Cygwin, you would need to make sure the configuration of
> your Cygwin tree is identical to the one the distributed application
> uses. You can e. g. include 30-metric-aliases.conf in
> etc/fonts/conf.d
> there, if it's fine with the upstream guys.

Yes, I do need to discuss this with the upstream guys, because they
supply
the fontconfig configuration files which are not working well.  Times
substitutes
to Sans (the default for no match), and the widths are very far off.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu