[Fontconfig] Text extent question - sum of advance not scaling exactly as Font Size * DPI

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 00:50:36 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-12 15:15 (GMT-0700) mathog composed:

> Can somebody suggest what I might be doing wrong to cause the
> cumulative
> text extent to not scale linearly with font size * DPI?
> Font   Dpi  Total Advance
> 16     75   8621
> 32     75   16985
> 16    150   16985
> 32    150   34995
> 16    300   34995
> 32    300   69478

I would give it another try using DPIs that M$ expects most desktops to be
using, all multiples of 12. So, use e.g. 72, 96, 120, 144, 192, 288 and see
if you like the results better. Key on 96 as your baseline, since that's what
most Windows and Mac desktops use, many Linux environments force, and
clueless web designers presume whether they know it or not. 96 is even in the
CSS specs. e.g. for the definition of the reference pixel:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/