[Fontconfig] New Font Attributes

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Thu Jul 4 19:12:50 PDT 2013

I can't say anything off hand so far because I'm not sure what you
want to do with it. you can mention more details here though, if there
are any way to organize them automatically, it may be, otherwise one
needs to make a list by the hand, which is able to do that even now.
and may be a bit hard to maintain and keep up-to-date.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Timothy S. Nelson <wayland at wayland.id.au> wrote:
>         Hi all.  I've run into the common problem of too many fonts, and not
> enough stuff to help me filter through them.  While I intend to work on this
> problem at a higher level (starting mid-2014, I hope), I saw that fontconfig
> might, with a few extra attributes, be able to help with this.
>
>         While I was thinking about this, I also had a look at the Truetype
> spec, which also has more attributes than FontConfig does (I'm assuming that
> the fonts-conf manpage is up-to-date).  Thus I thought it might be time to
> canvass the list and see whether there are other attributes which need to be
> added.
>
>         I'm proposing that we add attributes in two groups.  Those which
> help with font categorisation are:
> alphabetic: alphabetic or glyphic(?) (ie. dingbats, frames, the like)
> lettershape: what the general letter shape is (ie. Roman, Blackletter,
> Uncial,
>         etc, etc)
> strokeends: various types of stroke endings on serif and sans-serif fonts;
>         this will be a generalisation, since different strokes have
> different
>         endings
>
>         I'd also like to borrow some of the truetype ones for designer,
> copyright, etc, etc.
>
>         I have a slightly more detailed proposal in an ODT document.
>
>         Now for my questions:
> 1.      Is this something that is appropriate for fontconfig?
> 2.      Should I send my ODT document or something?
>
>         That's enough from me this time around, I think.  Let me know if
> there are any questions.
>
>         :)

> | Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
> | E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |

Akira TAGOH