[Fontconfig] fontconfig: Branch 'master'

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Sat Mar 2 04:19:11 PST 2013

pgajdos at suse.cz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:32:23AM -0800, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>> +	  <family>Liberation Sans Narrow</family>
>> +	  <default>
>> +	    <family>Arial Narrow</family>
>> +	  </default>
>
>> [..]
>
>> +	  <family>Arial Narrow</family>
>> +	  <accept>
>> +	    <family>Liberation Sans Narrow</family>
>> +	  </accept>
>
> sorry for dumb question, I am just curious: where this
> asymetry helps? Little example would be pretty enough.

You mean why <default> is used in one direction and <accept> in the other?

I suppose it means that 'Arial Narrow' is considered a worse fit than
anything else the user (or other config rules) might specify in the
family property after 'Liberation Sans Narrow', while 'Liberation Sans
Narrow' is considered a better fit than anything else the user might
specify after 'Arial Narrow'. Meaning 'Arial Narrow' is treated a bit
like a generic name here.

I. e.

   fc-match 'Liberation Sans Narrow,Sans'

would, if 'Liberation Sans Narrow' wasn't available, likely fall back to
whatever 'Sans' expands to, even if 'Arial Narrow' was available.

   fc-match 'Arial Narrow,Sans'

however would fall back to 'Liberation Sans', if available.

I think the first example is highly unlikely to be encountered in
practice, as Liberation is still somewhat of a platform-specific face
and any CSS author etc. can be expected to use it only as explicit
fallback, in which case it makes sense that fontconfig does little to
make it particularly robust.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>