[Fontconfig] fontconfig: Branch 'master'

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Mar 3 13:27:24 PST 2013

On 13-03-01 06:32 AM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> I don't have more words than I've explained at bz. someone may has more.

Raimund already explained, but as the person who put that file together, I
explain:  If someone requests Liberation Sans, you don't want the language
fallback to be filled in by Arial, if that font is installed.  However, we do
want to fallback to Arial, if nothing else satisfied the request.  So that's
where the <default> comes in.

If a document asks for Arial however, we want to fulfill it with
metric-compatible fonts when possible, hence the <accept>.

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM,  <pgajdos at suse.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:32:23AM -0800, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>>> +       <family>Liberation Sans Narrow</family>
>>> +       <default>
>>> +         <family>Arial Narrow</family>
>>> +       </default>
>>
>>> [..]
>>
>>> +       <family>Arial Narrow</family>
>>> +       <accept>
>>> +         <family>Liberation Sans Narrow</family>
>>> +       </accept>
>>
>> sorry for dumb question, I am just curious: where this
>> asymetry helps? Little example would be pretty enough.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Petr

> --
> Akira TAGOH