[Fontconfig] Some things should not be configured through files like fonts.conf

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Sun Apr 6 19:44:57 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Wolfgang Draxinger
<wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de> wrote:
> So can somebody please give only one valid argument, why you want to
> place the configuration of the subpixel arrangement and antialiasing
> mode in a system-wide and/or per-user configuration, when it in fact
> depends most on the physical screen setup the rendering result will be
> visible on?

I think you already have the answer by yourself as you mentioned in your mail:
> And that's where the trouble starts. Say I prefer RGB subpixel
> antialiased, fully hinted glyph rasterization. Some of my peers however
> prefer grayscale antialiased, unhinted and other peers want
> unantialiased font rendering. This shared setup means, that we can not
> configure rasterization options globally on each machine. The pivotable
> screen at "maxwell" also disallows to configure a global subpixel
> layout.

even "when it in fact depends most on the physical screen setup", you
have different preferences. isn't it enough to explain?

Any suggestions are always welcome if you have any idea.

--
Akira TAGOH