[Fontconfig] Some things should not be configured through files like fonts.conf

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de
Mon Apr 7 01:18:44 PDT 2014

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 11:44:57 +0900
Akira TAGOH <akira at tagoh.org> wrote:

> even "when it in fact depends most on the physical screen setup", you
> have different preferences. isn't it enough to explain?

No it's not. Why? Because of these three little words:
Network shared /home

The current fontconfig design makes it impossible to conveniently
configure user-private settings that take into account the host device
its used on.

> Any suggestions are always welcome if you have any idea.

Yes: Don't retrieve the setting from a static file. Instead determine
the exact values at runtime. User preferences for hinting style and
filters may depend on the actual display device used. Adding new
host/display specific rules to fonts.conf is IMHO barking up the wrong
tree, since this will never match everybody's needs.

Instead retrieve the settings from a runtime variable. I'd suggest
something managed by the display system, i.e. a root window property or
similar. This detaches mechanism (font rasterization configuration)
from policy (setting store / runtime determination).

Wolfgang