[Fontconfig] Fwd: [ft-announce] FreeType now supports color emojis

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Aug 18 17:28:58 PDT 2014

On 14-08-18 08:58 AM, Raimund Steger wrote:

> On Sat, August 16, 2014 21:32, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> [...]
>>   2) Color-aware clients will set FC_COLOR=True, which will make them get
>> color fonts preferred over non-color.  The match result will have FC_COLOR
>> if
>> the font was color,
>> [...]
>> Humm.  One problem with this is that if anyone does 2), then the color
>> font
>> technology will be only usable for emoji.  You can't have a color font
>> (say,
>> that covers ASCII) installed, because with that you will always get that
>> font
>> when you, eg, ask for sans.  So, I think this option is out.
>
> I understand this is mainly an effect of FC_COLOR priority being higher
> than FC_FAMILY's?

Yes, that's where I'd put it.  At least higher than the weak family priority.

> Though I don't expect some run-of-the-mill app/toolkit suddenly adding
> color=true to all their patterns...

I was discussing whether it's possible for color-aware clients to specify
their capability.  If they are to do that, they add color=true to all requests.

But, looks like there's no good reason for wanting to sort on color though,
system integrators can prioritize their emoji font just like any other font,
so doesn't matter.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/