[Fontconfig] Fwd: [ft-announce] FreeType now supports color emojis

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Mon Aug 18 23:48:12 PDT 2014

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 14-08-18 08:58 AM, Raimund Steger wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I understand this is mainly an effect of FC_COLOR priority being higher
>> than FC_FAMILY's?
>
> Yes, that's where I'd put it.  At least higher than the weak family priority.
>

>> Though I don't expect some run-of-the-mill app/toolkit suddenly adding
>> color=true to all their patterns...
>
> I was discussing whether it's possible for color-aware clients to specify
> their capability.  If they are to do that, they add color=true to all requests.

Well, as you said, with a priority that high, advertising a capability
is not what the property will stand for. It's more like 'lang':
Overriding poor family choice of users.

But I'm really fine with either implementation. (Until the day I have to
change my config /again/ to get my PCF Helvetica back in some app...)

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>