[Fontconfig] How to block glyph fallback in a QT application?

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Jan 6 23:24:56 PST 2014

Quote/Cytat - "Janusz S. Bien" <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> (Mon 06 Jan 2014
04:58:44 PM CET):

>> Gucharmap has an option to turn off fallback, and so does Pango, but for
>> a Qt application you will need a Qt solution.

For archive, I've found

http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/platform-api-reference/xml/daily-docs/libqt4/qfont.html

"QFont::NoFontMerging	0x8000	If the font selected for a certain
writing system does not contain a character requested to draw, then Qt
automatically chooses a similar looking font that contains the
character. The NoFontMerging flag disables this feature. Please note
that enabling this flag will not prevent Qt from automatically picking
a suitable font when the selected font does not support the writing
system of the text."

and

"Add style strategy to QFont to turn off automatic font resolution completely

The QFont::NoFontMerging flag turns off font merging within a single
script item, but still allows automatically picking different fonts
for each script item if the currently selected font does not support
the script in question."

I would appreciate very much your comments to the quoted passages:
what is the meaning of "script" or "writing system" in this context?
How the system can check whether the font supports a given script or
not? Is it a property of a font? If so, how is it encoded?

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)