[Fontconfig] ruleset description

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Mar 7 10:37:36 PST 2014

On 14-03-06 10:44 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pondering to add the ruleset description in each files to let
> people know what purpose those is for, particularly to be able to
> proceed it in a program say. the background on this is, I'm going to
> implement the feature of disabling/enabling them from fonts-tweak-tool
> I'm developing. so they don't need to guess what exactly those is
> doing from reading the whole rules.

Like the general idea.

> To accomplish this idea, we may have some tasks:
>
> * Update all of ruleset to add a description
>   think of adding <description> element under <fontconfig>

Works for me.  Though, this will now force people to split config into files
to be able to describe them.  Some type of grouping in a file would be a good
idea perhaps?

> * translation?
>   not sure what is the best way yet though, embed all of languages
> into the xml like <description lang="blah">?

Would be really bad for app startup time.  Also, I don't think we want to
maintain those.  Figure out what the Desktop files are doing.  I think they
used to have them all in the XML, but there was work on moving them to gettext
domains.  Eg, an attribute in the description or fontconfig element would have
gettext domain, and app will use that.

> * API to get those

Not sure how to best implement.

--